Thursday, March 25, 2010

NETS for Teachers and Students

Overall I think that the Standards that are created are a good basis to have as a reference to what would be helpful for the students in technology. I almost think that the most important of these standards is the fifth standard: “Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership.” This is essential to a teacher to have the ability to complete the first four standards. If the teacher doesn’t have the knowledge, background, or accessibility to complete the standards then the standards are essentially useless. The first four standards seem to be great a concept for the ideas of what teachers can work on with students, but in order to do them well standard 5 needs to be completed on a regular basis. I do like that the standards are very general as that allows multiple ways to reach the standards and also allows for the flexibility that we know exists in the future of technology. However, at the same time I am not sure that being as general as they are that they are truly productive and useful as a tool. Personally, being a teacher in a classroom (not specifically technology) causes me to question exactly what I would need to do to complete these goals.

Reviewed from: http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_for_Teachers_2008.htm

http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForStudents/2007Standards/NETS_for_Students_2007.htm

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Cathy on one of the most important standards for teachers is "Engage in Professional Growth & Leadership". In order to implement technology into the classroom, teachers must be competent of technology and be able to grow professionally as technology is constantly changing. I also agree with Cathy that the standards are broad, and there is no way that they can be implemented the same way across the board, therefore the standards should be more detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to read what Cathy said about the standards because obviously she is very comfortable using technology in the classroom. I agree that the NETS are too general but I assume that is because they are relatively new and that as educators become more comfortable using technology the NETS will become more specific and detailed. It is hard for me to picture myself having a leadership role in introducing technology but I will always support its use. One aspect that has to be taken into consideration is the number of schools and students that do not have appropriate access to technology. It is difficult to set standards and not supply the necessary materials, especially when the materials are so costly and require maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose if the NETS-T standards give you pause to think what it would take to meet the standards then that is good. Teachers, perhaps like most professions, need to constantly re-tool themselves. And perhaps that is keeps the job fresh.

    jd

    ReplyDelete